Sunrise Waldorf School requires students to be dressed appropriately for the weather, and to ensure safety for a wide range of activities. Their clothing should fit properly and allow them to easily move from working at a desk to getting up and playing actively and safely. The following is outlined to allow students to fully participate in all school activities.
- Jewellery: Class 1-5 jewellery may not be worn.
- Small studs or sleeper hoops are permitted.
- Jewellery: Class 6-8 simple jewellery may be worn.
- Dangling or large hoop earrings and nose rings are not permitted. If the jewellery poses a safety risk the teacher may ask the student to remove it.
- For all grades, handmade friendship bracelets are permitted.
- Body and nose piercings are not permitted.
- Students must wear footwear at school inside and outside. Special circumstances may exist for supervised activities.
- All footwear including sandals must be closed toed, no flip flops or high heels permitted
- Sleeves should not hang down over hands
- Students must arrive at school with weather appropriate clothing. Sun hats, rain hats, rain boots and outerwear, as well as layers for unexpected changes in weather.
2. Freedom of Movement:
Students at Sunrise Waldorf School spend a great deal of time in movement and games. Children must be dressed with an ability to move and play with ease and comfort. In all grade levels students’ clothing should allow for free and full movement without impediment or revealing undergarments.
- Hemlines and necklines should allow for freedom of movement without concern for clothing falling off or lifting up to reveal undergarments.
- Tube tops, off the shoulder tops, and strapless tops are not permitted
- Shirts and tops must meet the tops of pants such that midriffs are covered even during movement.
- Pants and shorts and skirts should fit properly or be belted such that undergarments are not revealed
- Skirts and shorts must be mid thigh length or longer.
3. Promoting a Study Environment:
- Colours, patterns and prints are permitted.
- Torn and defaced clothing is not permitted
- Clothing must have completed or rolled hems
- Logos, pictures, images, words, sparkles/sequence are not permitted
Exceptions for SWS embossed t-shirts and sweatshirts as well as Waldorf School Greek Olympics T-shirts.
- Small logos on shoes, hats and outer wear is permitted
- Small emblems on the breast of a t-shirt are permitted
- Caps, hats, and hoods must be removed before entering the classroom or assembly.
- Nail polish is not permitted.
- Makeup : Class 1-5 makeup is not permitted
- Makeup: Class 6-8 light makeup is permitted
- Hair dye is not permitted.
- Students may not draw with ink pens on each other or themselves, body transfers are also not permitted.
Exceptions to the dress code made for health, cultural or religious reasons. Please advice and talk with your class teacher in these cases.
4. Special Clothing for Festivals/Recitals:
5. Dressing for the Weather:
6. Dress Code for PE Classes:
Please ensure your child has the following change of clothes for PE (Grade 3-8):
- Shorts & or sweat pants
- Short plain sleeved T-shirt, or Polo shirt, and sweat shirt /sweater for cold days
- Properly fitting running/gym shoes, which support the foot and are in good condition.